Ajoblanco is a cold soup made from almonds with a hint of garlic which is typical to the Andalusian region of Spain. This healthy soup is aromatic, flavoursome and makes an excellent quick and easy light lunch to prepare.
300 gr of raw, peeled almonds
1 clove of garlic
250 ml of Spanish olive oil (and a bit extra for the presentation)
700 ml of cold water
8 drops of apple vinegar
100 gr of white bread without its crust
Salt to taste
Fig jam (for the presentation)
White grapes (for the presentation)
1. Blend the almonds with the food processor.
2. Add the water bit by bit and keep on blending until the mixture is smooth.
3. Cut the clove of garlic in half, remove its germ and add half of the clove to the mixture. Blend the mix.
4. While the food processor is blending, add the oil and the bread.
5. Add salt to taste and try. If necessary, add the other half of the garlic clove.
6. If the texture of the ajoblanco is not smooth, add more water and blend again until it reaches the right consistency.
7. Keep in the refrigerator.
Put a teaspoon of fig jam in a bowl, add the ajoblanco and garnish with 2 or 3 grapes and a trickle of olive oil. In summer, replace the grapes with some pieces of cantaloupe for an even more refreshing alternative.
With thanks to www.spain-holiday.com.