Pisto is a hearty Mediterranean vegetable stew similar to French ratatouille. Pisto is a favourite food among most Spaniards, mostly because it is a tasty, healthy, nutritious dish that is very easy to prepare. You only need fresh vegetables (bonus points if they’re organic!), a pan, some olive oil and some patience. Prepare to be blown away by the full taste of this traditional and naturally vegan friendly Spanish dish!
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ripe tomatoes
1 tsp of sugar
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Dice all the vegetables. Add a bit of salt to the aubergine to reduce its bitterness and cover it with kitchen roll.
2. Score the tomatoes. Submerge them in boiling water for 6 seconds. Remove them from the water, peel and dice them.
3. Put a pan with some olive oil on low heat and add the onion and the red pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes till soft.
4. Add the green pepper and turn up the heat to medium.
6. Add the garlic and courgette.
7. After 10 minutes, add the aubergine.
8. After another 5 minutes add the tomatoes and the sugar. Once it starts to bubble, reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
With thanks to www.spain-holiday.com.