Red Cabbage and Orange Salad with Date and Olive Cigars
A delicious vegan friendly starter – perfect for Christmas and any Sunday roast!
For the ‘cigars’ (makes 8):
Filo pastry (4 sheets)
20 black olives, stoned
3 dates, stoned
½ tsp smoked paprika
50g/1 ½ oz shelled pistachios
For the salad:
1 small red cabbage
100g/3 ½ oz pistachios
For the salad dressing:
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
3 tsp sherry vinegar
3 tsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
For the ‘cigars’:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the filling ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and process to a paste. Divide into 8 portions.
- Take a sheet of filo pastry and lay it on a clean work surface.
- Brush sheet with oil, top with another sheet and then cut into 4 rectangles.
- Brush with oil again. Take a portion of the filling and form it into a line along a long edge of the pastry. Roll up tightly and place on prepared baking tray. Brush with oil.
- Repeat to make 8 ‘cigars’. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden, transfer to rack to cool.
For the salad:
- Shred the cabbage finely – allow 50g per person. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then pour onto the cabbage and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the rind and pith off the orange(s) and slice into rounds – allow one or two per person.
- Preheat a ridged griddle pan. Place the orange slices on the hot pan and allow to sit until caramelised in stripes.Chop the pistachios roughly.
Assemble the dish by piling the cabbage onto each plate, sprinkling with chopped pistachios, and adding a slice of orange, a ‘cigar’ or two and a grind of black pepper and enjoy!
Vegan Society Christmas 2017 Recipes
Recipe developer: Jane Hughes
Home Economist: Judith Ball
Food photographer: Sue Hicoe
Copyright: The Vegan Society 2017