Although we have never missed anything after becoming vegan nearly 25 years years ago we did enjoy the deep fried batter we used to have from the chip shop. Now we can have own own version….. try with tofu too!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tin banana blossom – 510gms
- 2 tbs nori sprinkle (or finely cut up some nori sheets)
- 100g plain flour
- 100g corn flour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp nori sprinkles
- 150ml sparkling water/or beer for beer batter
- Oil for deep frying
- 800g potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- First open the tin and drain the banana blossom
- Place in an airtight container, sprinkle on the nori and leave in a fridge for an hour (or overnight if you can wait that long!)
- The nori will add the flavour of the sea to our ‘fish’
- When you are ready to fry the fish, heat the oil in your fryer or a deep pan
- For the batter, mix together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, turmeric and nori in a bowl
- Add the sparkling water/beer and stir well to form a thick batter that’s ready to use right away
- Pat each banana blossom with a paper towel to remove any excess water, dip into the batter mix and dip into the hot oil, fry at a medium heat until golden and just turning brown
- Serve right away with chips, peas and good drizzle of Sarson’s Vinegar
- For the chips, wash and slice some small potatoes (keeping the skin on for more fibre), drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt
- Bake the chips in the oven @180’C for about 30 minutes until crispy.
Banana Blossom Fish & Chips created by Dr Chintal’s Kitchen in collaboration with Sarson’s Vinegar.