A delicious houmous recipe with a twist………perfect for BBQs any time of year…..
- 400 grams cooked chickpeas (canned or freshly cooked)
- 80 grams tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 60 grams lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 15-30 ml water (adjust for desired consistency)
1. If you are using dried chickpeas, soak them overnight and cook them until tender. If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain them thoroughly.
2. Prepare your Traeger grill and set it to the super smoke mode.
Spread the cooked chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet or cast iron pan.
3. Place the chickpeas on the grill, making sure they are exposed to the smoke. Super smoke mode usually operates at a lower temperature, which is perfect for smoking without cooking the chickpeas further.
4. Smoke the chickpeas for about 1 to 2 hours, depending on your desired smokiness level. Make sure they absorb a good amount of smoke flavour.
5. Once the chickpeas are adequately smoked, remove them from the grill and let them cool slightly.
6. In a food processor, add the smoked chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
7. Start blending the ingredients in the food processor on low speed, while drizzling in the olive oil gradually.
8. If the mixture is too thick, add 15 ml of water at a time until you achieve your desired consistency. Blend until the houmous becomes smooth and creamy.
9. Taste the houmous and adjust the seasoning as needed.
10. Once you have the desired taste and texture, transfer the smoked houmous to a serving bowl and garnish.
VeggieVision TV tip……. make a huge amount of this delicious smoked houmous!!
Recipes created by Yorkshire Nourishment in association with Traeger.
With many thanks to Traeger for supporting our vegan BBQ features by supplying a grill to VeggieVision TV.