A fantastic and filling vegan curry for a cosy night in or to impress someone…. add in more of less chilli’s to your taste.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 350g New/Baby potatoes
- 60g Massaman curry paste (shop bought or homemade – see below for recipe)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 280g tofu
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Handful of crushed unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 lime to serve
Ingredients for Massaman curry paste
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 15g (half a pack) of fresh coriander
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, hard outer layers peeled off
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 red chillies, stalk and seeds removed
- 2 tsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp vegan “fish” sauce (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- Zest of 1/2 lime to finish
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes, coat in cornflour and fry in the vegetable oil until golden.
- In a deep sided frying pan, melt the butter and cook the curry paste for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and tofu and coat in the paste.
- Add the coconut milk and brown sugar. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with rice and a sprinkling of chopped coriander, thin slices of red chilli, the crushed nuts and a wedge of lime.
Method for Massaman curry paste
- Place all the ingredients apart from the lime zest into a food processor and blitz until a smooth paste.
- Add the lime zest to the paste.
With super thanks to www.seasonalspuds.com for this delicious recipe.