Enjoy this vegan twist on the Beef Wellington from Moving Mountains to add the wow factor to your Christmas dinner.
Serves 4 Prep: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
- 1 packet of Moving Mountains® Mince
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ white onion
- Finely chopped 2 garlic cloves
- Finely chopped
- 5 thyme sprigs leaves picked
- 200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 150g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 pack rolled vegan puff pastry, refrigerated until needed
- For the vegan ‘egg wash’:
- 1 tbsp water 1 tbsp orange marmalade or red currant jelly Salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Warm up the oil in a large, heavy based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and stir for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, carrot and mushrooms and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the Mince, mustard and tomato puree. Stir again until all the ingredients are well combined and Mince breaks apart easily. Season with salt and pepper and cook for further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly for about 5 minutes.
- Make the ‘egg wash’ simply mixing the water and jelly together in a small bowl. Take the pastry sheet out of the packaging and put on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, so the longer side if facing you.
- Spread the mince filling over the middle third of the pastry sheet from side to side. You should have the top and bottom thirds left without any filling on them. Stretch the bottom third over the filling and cover with the top third of the pastry. You should end up having two layers of the pastry on the top of your Wellington and one layer on the bottom. Leave the sides open.
- Brush the pastry well with the sticky wash and score the top layer of the pastry using a sharp knife.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is cooked and golden brown.
- Slice the Wellington and serve with vegan gravy, roast potatoes and Brussel sprouts.
With thanks to Moving Mountains® Wellington for this fantastic recipe!