Prep Time: approx. 45 Minutes
Cook Time: approx. 50 Minutes
“This vegan staple features a crunchy bread crumb topping. Make it the centrepiece of your meal, and serve with a savoury gravy, mashed potatoes, and English peas.”
- 1 1/8 cups green lentils
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 6 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 vegan ‘eggs’ e.g. mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water until fully absorbed and viscous as a substitute for 1 egg.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 packet dry vegetable soup mix (like Knorr)
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- Combine lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups cooked lentils, bread, flaxseed mixture, broth, tomato paste, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, parsley, olive oil, and dry soup mix. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle top with dry bread crumbs, and continue baking another 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
With thanks to Calum Lewis for this stunning image.