05 Apr Vegan Farinata
An easy to make and delicious vegan recipe with cupboard ingredients from our friends at Viva!
- 200g/1⅔ cups chickpea/gram flour
- 500ml/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Around 5-6 whole artichoke hearts, sliced (tin or jar)
- ½ red onion finely sliced (optional)
- 12 whole sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbsp capers
- About 12 pitted black olives, halved or sliced
- Handful of chopped dill and 1 tbsp chives (or any fresh herbs of your choice), finely chopped
For a budget option, remove the artichokes and fresh herbs and use 1 tsp dried mixed herbs instead.
- Sieve the gram flour into a large mixing bowl and then pour in the warm water. Whisk thoroughly and then cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and set aside to ferment for a minimum of two hours but ideally overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (fan)/410ºF/Gas Mark 6-7. You can be prepping the rest of the ingredients now if you wish.
- When the batter is ready, remove any foam that has formed on top of the batter and then stir in the olive oil, salt, black pepper and fresh herbs.
- Line the bottom of a baking tray (approx 15″ x 11″) with a good layer of olive oil so it forms a thin coating. Heat in the oven for a few minutes until smoking hot.
- When the oil is hot enough, remove the tray from the oven and pour in the batter. Then add your filling ingredients so they are evenly distributed.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on top, approximately 15-20 minutes (don’t overcook it or it will get rubbery).
- Let it cool slightly then cut into triangles or squares and serve with a nice fresh salad.
This recipe was created by Vegan Recipe Club, a project created by the UK’s leading vegan charity Viva!. Their website has over 500 tried and tested vegan recipes – making vegan food fun, delicious and accessible for everyone. Visit www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk.