25 Apr Tin Can Spaghetti Bolognese
A delicious recipe from our friends at Viva!
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 285g fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced (or other veg of your choice… fresh, tinned or frozen)
- 400g tin of green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 75ml red wine (optional, you can use a dash of vinegar instead)
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar or syrup (eg maple or agave. Optional)
- 280g spaghetti (dried is usually vegan, fresh pasta normally contains egg)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the mushrooms (or other veg) and the garlic to the pan and fry for 5 mins until soft.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, wine, stock and tomato puree to the pan and stir thoroughly. Season to taste.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 40 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Take the bolognese off the heat and serve over the drained spaghetti.
- To serve, top with grated vegan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes (optional).
This recipe was created by Vegan Recipe Club, a project created by the UK’s leading vegan charity Viva!. Their website has over 500 tried and tested vegan recipes – making vegan food fun, delicious and accessible for everyone. Visit www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk.