26 Apr Quick & Easy Chana Masala
A super recipe from our friends at Viva!
- 2 cloves garlic (use pre-chopped garlic for extra speedy option)
- 1-2 inches root ginger, grated (optional)
- 1 fresh chilli (optional)
- 5 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 6 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 x 400g tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml/1 cup strong vegan stock (add more little by little, if the mixture is too dry)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 handfuls of spinach (optional)
To serve: brown rice, unsweetened vegan yoghurt, fresh coriander, toasted mixed seeds and our delicious easy naan bread
- Fry the (optional) grated ginger and fresh chilli in a little oil for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add all of the spices and fry for another minute, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and tomato puree to the pan and stir into the spice mix.
- Pour over the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the chickpeas are soft and the liquid has reduced down.
- Stir through the lemon juice and spinach a few minutes before serving and add a little salt or more stock (in a tiny bit of water) if necessary. Enjoy 🙂
This recipe was created by Vegan Recipe Club, a project created by the UK’s leading vegan charity Viva!. Their website has over 500 tried and tested vegan recipes – making vegan food fun, delicious and accessible for everyone. Visit www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk.