12 Jun Italian Vegan Summer Squash Polenta Bake
Posted at 13:00h in Cookery Channel
“Fresh summer vegetables paired with creamy polenta baked in an Italian sauce and topped with vegan cheese – delicioso! I recommend serving it with crusty garlic bread.”
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups olive oil for frying
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package ready- made polenta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Saute carrots, zucchini, squash, onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan with a small amount of olive oil. Season with garlic salt and pepper (optional). Saute vegetables for approximately 5 minutes and pour in spaghetti sauce. Stir, cover and simmer until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Slice polenta into 1/2 inch circles and season with garlic salt and pepper. Heat enough oil in a medium skillet so as to completely cover the entire bottom of the pan. Pan fry seasoned polenta in hot oil, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from oil and layer the slices in a large casserole dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the polenta and then sprinkle with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake casserole for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.