Jessica Nadel is a freelance writer and blogger at Cupcakes and Kale – cupcakesandkale.blogspot.com. She has a passion for healthy, plant-based eating and thinks that amongst a diet of vibrant, nourishing meals there is room for a cupcake or two as well.
With more than 100 quick and easy recipes for turning leafy greens into delicious vegan meals, snacks, smoothies, and cakes, her new book shows how fun and easy it is to eat your greens.
A great way to pack up breakfast to go. For someone who doesn’t eat eggs, breakfast burritos have never been much fun, but now that I make them with tofu scramble I finally see what all the fuss is about. For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free wraps.
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 x 454 g (16 oz) pack firm or extra-firm tofu
- 60 g (2 oz) spinach, 140 g (4 ¾ oz) kale or 75 g (2 ½ oz) collard greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 75 g (2 ½ oz) red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 x 25-cm (10-inch) tortilla wraps
- 120 g (4 ¼ oz) salsa
- Avocado slices
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground
- Black pepper
- Remove the tofu from its packaging and drain. Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and gently press the water out of it, either by hand or by placing it between two plates and weighing it down with a cast-iron pan or a few books.
- Wash and remove the tough stems from whatever greens you’re using. Stack the leaves and chop them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet pan and sauté the onions and green pepper over a medium-high heat until softened. Crumble the tofu into the pan and stir with the onions and peppers, coating it in oil. Sprinkle with turmeric and continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the tofu begins to brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Move the tofu to one side of the pan and place the greens on the hot skillet. Add a teaspoon of water and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until wilted. Stir everything together to incorporate.
- To assemble the burritos, lay a wrap flat and add a quarter of the scramble to the bottom third. Add 2 tablespoons of salsa, a few avocado slices and hot sauce if you like. Roll up the burrito from the bottom, tucking in the sides as you go.
Calories (per serving ): 358
Protein: 14.8 g
Total fat: 16.8 g
Saturated fat: 2.3 g
Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
Dietary fibre: 5.2 g
Sugars: 3.9 g
Vitamins: A, B6, C